Pages

Monday, January 10, 2011

Planting, Hoping, Waiting

That is what gardening is about a lot of the time. Planting seeds or tiny little seedlings with great hopes and expectations and then just waiting. No matter the skill level of the gardener, it all comes down to a little bit of natural magic.
A while ago I planted a little bit of hope with my Finger Lime. I check on it now and then but don't want to mollycoddle it. It now has some small flowers and the hope for future fruit starts. I live in an area that isn't quite right for finger limes but I have chosen a site that is protected and it is definitely growing. The flowers are quite tiny and not overly impressive unlike the thorns. I have also planted a little more hope. Not of growing spoons, that is just a marker for my saffron bulb. I have planted three saffron crocus bulbs in the hope of harvesting a few of the lovely little golden threads for some culinary delights without the exorbitant expense.

I don't have to wait for flowers in the garden. They are a bit patchy with all of the rain we have had but the purple agapanthus is flowering well. I think a bonus with agapanthus is the dried out flower heads. The added bonus of the agapanthus is it is zero maintenance. I never water it, just mow around it when necessary.
Tracy

5 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

Aggies are nearly my absolute favourite..........I have heaps..........I love them and they are so hardy........

Vickie said...

I so love you sharing pics around your property with us..just makes me want to get down south all the more quicker..I love Aggis my nan used to have them in arow at her house so pwetty,cheers Vickie

Lisa said...

The variety of things you grow is very interesting. Maybe you should try growing spoons, though! ;)

Jodie said...

I love aggie's too anf you're right, they are so hardy and low maintenance..

Jodie :)

Tracie said...

Hi Tracy, Thanks for my birthday wish. The aggies are looking great.

Tracie