Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

My enemy

The 28 spotted or leaf eating lady beetles. I really do not like this critter one bit. They don't appear to have even one saving grace. Scarecrow and Organic Gardener magazine have both made mention of them of late so I know I am not alone in my battle. Even in the immature phase it is not sweet and cute like less destructive lady beetles. I think it looks a little alien with all of its hairy protrusions.

The adult isn't much better. Try as they might to stop me, I am determined to have a decent potato crop. They really do some damage though, skeletonising the leaves of the plants in what seems like record time especially for such tiny creatures with tiny mouths. I fight this enemy one squish at a time.

Tracy



2 comments:

Bec - Farmers Wife said...

I am having the same problem, they are such a pest. Keep on squishing LOL

Paola said...

28 spotted ladybeetles! Don't get me started either. Making a mess of my eggplants and potatoes. Arrgh!Up there with fruit fly for despicableness..