Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pumpkin and Date Muffins amongst other things


This is the rooster we took in a while back after his owner became too ill to care for him and his harem. The chooks are all well feathered now and looking much better. I call him Foghorn because his crow is like a foghorn especially compared to the higher pitched crow of our Tiny Rooster. Since they have settled in they now forage in the yard for the morning before being put back in their pen. The two roosters can't be let out at the same time because it would be a bloodbath. I don't think this guy would start anything but the little rooster doesn't like other gents on his turf.


Todays weather is magnificent. Sunny with just that hint of coolness in the air. No sign of yesterdays rain or clouds and the bees are busy, busy. But, my mum has informed me that the weekend is going to be bitter with the chance of snow in higher areas.

Now on to the muffins. I always keep some muffins in the freezer and Tim takes them to work for his tea breaks. The kids aren't fans of muffins. I think this is because they just aren't 'fun' enough. As for me, I don't really eat baked goods much at all. I just like making them. These muffins are sweet but with the pumpkin and dates they are a little bit healthy too... sort of... maybe.

I was given a very large pumpkin last week and we are almost through it. Pumpkin is right up there at the top of my list of favourite vegetables so I have been quite happy with the pumpkin-y fare we have been eating.
Pumpkin and Date Muffins
 
Ingredients
2 cups self raising flour
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
60 grams butter, melted
1 egg
1 cup mashed pumpkin
1/2 cup chopped dates
 
Method
Preheat oven to 180 degC.
Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
Combine the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir together. Add the chopped dates.
Combine the butter, pumpkin, egg and milk together in a separate bowl until well mixed. Then pour into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
Fill the muffin cases about 2/3 full and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the muffins spring back slightly when touched.
 
 

Tracy

7 comments:

Fiona said...

very handsome rooster.... thanks for the recipe....I think dates is my favourite flavour in cakes ...
Hugz

Staci@LifeAtCobbleHillFarm said...

The rooster is adorable, er, I mean handsome. :) I love, love, LOVE anything pumpkin and the dates seem to be a wonderful addition! Another recipe I must save for the fall!!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

That rooster is so cute! I love his coloring. And your muffins do sound delicious. Pumpkin is so yummy!

Jeanette said...

Very nice looking rooster. Those muffins sound yummy. I'll be adding them to my cooking list. Love dates in cakes too. Hugs.xx

Kimberley said...

They will be in my oven this week - big muffin eaters here and always double batches and always frozen. Made some yummy apple muffins yesterday.

trishie said...

Foghorn is one great looking rooster and I love the sound of pumpkins in a muffin!

Tania said...

Love the look of those yummy muffins. We didn't get any pumpkins this year from the garden. I think the heat was too much...

It was cold here last weekend, there was snow recorded in the hills nearby. Was lovely to sit by the nice fire all weekend :)

x