Pages

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Garden Share- May

 
Lizzie, the organising force behind Garden Share Collective has just welcomed a precious baby girl into her family so I'm not sure how much time or energy she has for gardening right now. What a wonderful, special thing, becoming a mother. Congratulations and best wishes.
 
Each month a group of gardeners from all over the globe talk about their trials and triumphs in the garden. It's well worth a looksee if you are into gardening even just a little bit.
 
 
I had my own set of troubles this past month but although I am still saddened by the loss of my feathered friends, I am happy to have had them in my life for many years. Our little lone chooky survivor is happy (her gentle clucking tells me so) and like to hang around wherever we are . The ducks are being treated to weekly treats of watermelon which they seem to love and it certainly is a treat to watch them devour it.  I am short on watermelon from the garden but the price is worth it. I must make a note to grow extra melons next spring/summer.
 

 Today is grey, rainy and a little cool. The reports I've seen are all saying that this is going to bring the start of the cold weather. I was kind of getting used to the glorious autumnal sunny days but I like winter just as much so that's ok. The garden is still unsure if it is summer or time to take a rest. Lots of flowers about. Self sown tomatoes are popping up with no chance of making it.

 Planting
  • garlic
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • Brussels sprouts
  • carrots
  • lettuce
  • kale
  • tatsoi
  • broadbeans
  • peas
  • snowpeas
  • turnip
  • kohl rabi
  • spring flowering bulbs
  • shrubs and flowers

Yellow Podded Peas
 Earlier plantings are powering along and I am doing my best to sow periodically for successive harvesting.

Carrot- Nantes
 Harvesting
  • chillies (more than I will ever need but I can't resist them)
  • tomatoes (not many)
  • cucumbers
  • corn
  • capsicum
  • rocket
  • beans
  • zucchini
  • herbs
  • limes
  • lemons
  • radish
  • strawberries
  • flowers galore
  • finger limes
Cauliflower- Quickheart
 Happening in May
  • tend to the wisteria that I was meant to deal with in April. At least I know what I'm going to do about it now.
  • some fencing
  • weeding
  • compost turning
  • mead making
  • planning, plotting and pondering
  • tea drinking and letter-writing
  • work out how to use Twitter (I don't even have a mobile phone)
Tracy

5 comments:

africanaussie said...

Oh gosh Tracy it does look cold and wet in that first photo! We are enjoying just a slight respite from the heat, and gardening is really pleasant. I must get out there and take some photos so that I can post my update. Those ducks are really spoilt!

Terra said...

That first photo is lovely, the colors and the composition.
Today I dug a big hole, put in the chicken wire gopher cage and planted a pineapple guava. Now I have two guavas. Your lists show you are a true and a hard working gardener.

Anonymous said...

wow you have lots going on in your garden Tracy,hubby has just put pig manure on ours so we are going to let the vegie garden rest over winter,love that you are still getting plenty from your garden.xx

Barb said...

Hi Tracy, I've been making my way through your blog and really enjoy it. I have given up on carrots, I've tried growing them both in the ground and in a deep poly box with potting mix, and neither was a success, so I'll just keep buying them. Your garden is looking great.

Linda said...

I know what you mean about too many chillies. I really am looking for time to make Sweet Chilli Sauce. Have never tried it. But if I follow the instructions of one blogger (think it was Kyrstie), and freeze them whole (just picked that one up), it just might work.