Pages

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Mulberries


I am definitely getting my daily fruit quota. I like to have at least three pieces of fruit a day (especially bananas, I can't resist them). The fruit of the day today though are mulberries and loquats. They are ripe and sweet and juicy. I had enough to make a batch of mulberry and dark chocolate muffins as well as plenty to eat fresh. I wanted to use white chocolate but I didn't have any.

How is it that this dry spring the mulberries are extra nice and the birds are leaving them alone? Well they are eating my strawberries and taste testing the cherries too. I don't know and I don't spend too much time trying to nut out why either. I really should have those fruit trees netted already but I am sometimes a slacker.


 I would include a recipe for the muffins but I don't really have one. When I make muffins I always follow the same rough guidelines.
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 3/4 cups brown sugar
  • about 1 cup of whatever goodies I want to mix in eg berries, choc chips, muesli, dried fruit
  • 90 grams melted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk or yoghurt
Mix dry ingredients together and then stir in combined wet ingredients until just combined. 3/4 fill muffin cases and bake in a moderate oven until they are done (about 20 minutes). A very rough guide but it works for me. One of those 'recipes' that you can fall back on in a pinch without thinking too much. I'm sure most cooks have a few of those.


Now I'm off to do some sewing for swaps. Better make sure my hands are clean. Mulberries sure do make a mess. I read that rubbing the stains with the unripe fruit will remove the stains. I'm not trying that. That's fruit I won't have.
Tracy

4 comments:

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Thanks for the recipe I love mulberries

Jeanette said...

Love mulberries. Luckily my brother shares with me from his tree. Yes rubbing with an unripe mulberry does work. Hugs,xx

Dasha said...

When I can get hold of mulberries, I like to make jam. Home made mulberry jam is to die for only second to home made strawberry jam. LOL. Sadly, I don't have a source for mulberries these days though.

Sharm said...

Thanks for the basic recipe... I've been after a good basic one that is simple and adaptable with metric .... might even try it out this arvo!