Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Iceland.

I'll start off by saying what made me interested in going to Iceland in the first place. I like to listen to Richard Fidler's Conversations radio program and he spoke with Hannah Kent who is the author of Burial Rites which is set in Iceland. I was intrigued and thought as we would be in the neighbourhood when we travelled to the UK then why not. Who knows, we may never leave travel that way again. For me it was one of those places that the more I looked, the more I wanted to go there. I'm glad I did. 






 It is really a land of ice and fire with volcanoes and glaciers and all sorts of unsettled geology. Hot springs, geysers, lava fields and a sense of remoteness even in the more populated areas. I really loved it.Pictures (mine anyway) do not do it justice and it was truly overwhelming.

If you are a fan of waterfalls then I doubt it can be beaten for quantity and quality.



We stayed in Reykjavik which is the capital and the city that doesn't sleep during the weekends in summer. The sun doesn't go down and the people stay up too. I did keep getting up during the night to check on the sun just to make sure it stayed shining all night.

I did a crash course in Icelandic before we arrived but it really wasn't necessary or very successful.  English is spoken so widely and so well. The amount of English speaking tourists too means there is always someone who will understand you. I'm glad because I think it would take a good while immersed in the language before I could hold a proper conversation.


 And a big bonus for me. Iceland is home to the largest number of Atlantic puffins and we were there in time for them to still be nesting. What a bonus. The rest of the year they spend most of their time at sea. I think I am even more of a fan of the sweet little puffin since seeing them in real life.So very cute but tough as can be to survive the harsh conditions they endure.

I don't really give advice because honestly, who needs it? But, Iceland is expensive. The cost of living there is quite high so take some extra cash.

Next time I visit I'd like to explore other parts of the island and go in a different season. Maybe when the northern lights might put on a display.

Bye for now,
Tracy





7 comments:

River said...

I love the waterfalls and am glad you showed them as I'd never go there, it's way too cold.

Janice said...

What a wonderful place to visit. You will have great memories always.

Chookyblue...... said...

thanks for sharing the pics I would love to go to Iceland one day........

Unknown said...

I've always thought it would be lovely to travel overseas. (If only I could get over my fear of flying!). Iceland sounds like an amazing place!

Unknown said...

Well done you. For going outside the box and discovering such beauty. I bet you have a thousand photos.

Lilbitbrit said...

I love your pictures of Iceland and would like to visit, although I too have heard it is expensive. I do have a lovely Icelandic wool throw that I picked up at the thrift, brand new, still in it's original packaging, a happy find, because I expect that was quite expensive originally. Glad you had such a lovely time there.

Lilbitbrit said...

I meant to mention the puffins, aren't they the cutest birds and so great to be there at the right time and get to see them. Now that would be memorable.